YouTube Heartbeat: Free collaboration search tags

Resome2

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Jan 29, 2015
United Kingdom
www.resome2.eu
YouTube
Ok, so it's more of a suggestion about a heartbeat feature, but didn't see an option as such, not even sure if this is the right place.

Had a look at the new feature (at the time) Free collaborations.

So I went to set it up quickly, and of all the 15+ games I own, only 2 appeared.

I know it will take time and resources and maybe it's planned for a future update, but feel it would be better if the entry section on editing profile was free-form as opposed to tick boxes along with tags like YouTube

Reactions: Kan

Kan

Superman
Freedom! Member
Jan 4, 2014
Metropolis
www.youtube.com
YouTube
AndrewKanFilm
Ok, so it's more of a suggestion about a heartbeat feature, but didn't see an option as such, not even sure if this is the right place.

Had a look at the new feature (at the time) Free collaborations.

So I went to set it up quickly, and of all the 15+ games I own, only 2 appeared.

I know it will take time and resources and maybe it's planned for a future update, but feel it would be better if the entry section on editing profile was free-form as opposed to tick boxes along with tags like YouTube

Tagging @Anthony Smith he can give you more information!

Stefan Grant

Staff Member
Freedom! Member
Sep 2, 2015
Free collaboration is no where near complete at this point we haven't announced it because of this but have left the "beta" public so those that stumble upon it can mess around with it. This is just a 0.5 version of FC we are going to be using an iterative development process on it so it will massively evolve over time.

Its going to be limited to a bout 50 - 60 of the top games for now while we work on other aspects of it but eventually we hope to have a monster that will encompass all games.This is the product that I am working on at the moment.

Something wicked this way come's.

Stef

Reactions: Kan

Anthony Smith

Believe it or not, I believe in you!
Administrator
Verified Freedom! Partner
Freedom! Member
so on this, there have been a few variations of this tool and idea.

the current tool is the second iteration of the idea. the first was limited in scope and suffered from some scalability issues.

the second of which @Stefan Grant has been working on and shows promise but is limited to games mainly and a categorical structure. All in all a good model based on history and i think it will do well.

now if i had my way in a perfect world i'd have the tool scan your previous videos for metadata and search for other creators that matched that data this would help match people based on game, playstyle, interests etc however the downfall of this is most people have no freaking clue how to tag videos properly and only use one word tags that are too broad to be relevant. making the tool with such a design almost useless to people who are in the majority.

until we figure out a way to help people figure out their metadata (using phrases over single words) the categorical approach is what's best otherwise everyone will match because they used the single word tags "the" "a" "of" "and" (facepalm) I remain hopeful that at some distant time in the future the tool will be much more dynamic but for right now the direction stefan is taking things (in the coming months) shows a ton of promise and I have to tip my hat to him and the devs for all the work they are putting in on it!!