Official Heartbeat ideas thread

Anthony Smith

Believe it or not, I believe in you!
Administrator
Verified Freedom! Partner
Freedom! Member
Hello everyone,

I'm tossing around some ideas with one of my colegues here at Freedom for Heartbeat and I need your help. So let me say this first, nothing I say here is guaranteed, suggested, implied, or promised in any way to become reality. Any suggestions you give will carry the same weight as my own meaning if it's possible, and makes sense it might, maybe, possibly happen... one day... if we're lucky. I think that properly sets expectations...

So I have a few ideas for Heartbeat I'd like to put out there into the public i'd like your feedback on them and if you feel inclined add your own below. Just remember that Heartbeat has 2 sides, one that helps creators, and one that helps viewers. This symbiotic relationship helps both groups be increasing the install base and usefulness.

• bring back video replies
    • this idea helps creators link derivative works so viewers can watch one video then go further down the rabbit hole on a topic problem is we'd have to invest lots of time into moderation tools
    • this could help bring more traffic to heartbeat users which are mostly Freedom partners
    • if you're new to YouTube Video replies used to allow me to link my video to related videos or reply to other peoples thoughts on a subject.
    • at some point we could maybe... possibly prioritize Freedom partners over non Freedom partners in this system slightly more than non partners
  • Dating for YouTubers (no REALLY!!)
    • get ideas of kisses and snuggling out of your mind I'm talking about something similar to Tinder to help viewers find new creators based on interests, imagine putting in interests like on Omegle then swiping through creators like on tinder or hot or not.
    • similar idea is a video based random video option, if you're bored on YouTube just watch a random video based on your interests. not sure if we'd take you on the tags entered alone or if there would be a learning/suggestion based on subscribed channels etc.
  • democratize heartbeat tags
    • simple upvote/downvote for heartbeat tags to crowd source the filtering of bad apples. This would give power to the community in hopes that we'd find the most valuable metadata out there.
    • Having the majority rule on something like this could help us keep maintenance down and later find an algorithmic way to find trusted users and problematic tags or combinations of them
    • i'll save the long boring reasoning but the manual interaction at first could help us find patterns in posting and detection behavior that could strengthen other tools.
  • creator time saving tools like:
    • adding a url shortening feature here (probably goo.gl by default) (done!)
    • adding visual notices here about which videos have cards/annotations so you can visually distinguish if you've missed a video without checking them one by one (this would be optional to reduce clutter)
  • your suggestions?!
I should say again that this is a practice in theory, this is not a promise of anything but i'm interested in what YOU have to say. If we play our cards right some, or all of this might be coming to a heartbeat install near you!

P.S. Any comments about how the tool asks for your info so that we can build a lizard man army that is bent on world domination or that we're reading your emails to find out that Chad is cheating on his wife will be ignored because Chad deserves what he gets and the Lizard men are still at least a year away from hatching.

Last edited:
Reactions: BBphoniex Gaming

Blind Gaming

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Why don't we take a break from updating heartbeat and start idk getting payments out on time, fixing the dashboard, fixing all the bugs heartbeat actually has, or just making all the things we should have half decent.

Not to be harsh about it Anthony but honestly (and I think I speak for the community on this one) heartbeat is almost completely useless to non recruiters or network managers (who are just glorified recruiters) and I think people would rather the devs focus on the no longer existing Dashboard 2.0 or at least removing all the "Betas" that aren't going to happen. Maybe updating the dashboard and removing all the outdated information that's 1+ year old.

Thanks for listening :)

PirateFraser

New User
Aug 27, 2014
I would love to have video replies back that would be awesome, also the creator time saving tools sound like they could be good, Heartbeat tags I can see going wrong if they are not done right. The tinder like app sounds interesting, if I am thinking of it the same way as you, So you could have like two sections of the app, one to find other creators and it shows you their stats and if you both swipe left you will be hooked up to collab, and another section to find random videos while your bored, that would save me a lot of time when trying to find the smaller channels as you could have a thing to say from a channel between this many subs and this many views and it would show you someone's video who is between those things you define.

Anthony Smith

Administrator
Freedom! Member
"Why don't we take a break from updating heartbeat"
the heartbeat team only works on heartbeat, pulling them from one project and putting them on another makes no sense as they are best suited for extension development so there would be months of training before working on anything else.
"payments out on time"
payments are delivered within reason "on time" every month sometimes early, sometimes a day late, rarely more than that. When YouTube gets us the finalized numbers we pay it's that simple We can't be blamed for YouTubes technical limitations in working with us.
"fixing the dashboard"
different team but i'm also looking into working with that team too
"fixing all the bugs heartbeat actually has"
listing those would be helpful as I'm only familiar with a hand full of existing issues.
"heartbeat is almost completely useless to non recruiters"
I don't agree with this but I'm asking for input to change this type of outlook feedback is welcome.
"network managers (who are just glorified recruiters)"
network managers are nothing like recruiters, you may have been thinking network owners... I'm not sure what you meant so I'll withhold comment.
"Dashboard 2.0"
Dashboard 2.0 has been scrapped in favor of integrating dashboard 2.0 tech into the existing one and transitioning in an evolutionary way rather than a revolutionary one that would require us to maintain two separate code bases. You've already seen some of the improvements already and will see more coming down the pipe soon.
"Betas" that aren't going to happen."
who said they weren't going to happen? I'm not aware of any projects that have been ended that are in beta.
"Maybe updating the dashboard and removing all the outdated information that's 1+ year old."
examples please I can't hep if you don't help me help you.

Last edited:

Blind Gaming

Rising User
Freedom! Member
“the heartbeat team only works on heartbeat, pulling them from one project and putting them on another makes no sense as they are best suited for extension development so there would be months of training before working on anything else.”

Fire the Heartbeat team, hire more (and better) developers for projects that matter.

“listing those would be helpful as I'm only familiar with a hand full of existing issues.”

From the top then: 1. It can cause YouTube to lag like malaises going up a hill. 2. The CSS on the page can get completely messed up and cause it to look horrible. 3. It doesn’t work half the time when attempting to look at statistics and analytics on videos (possible issues with Social Blade API hook in?). 4. Half the stuff on Twitch doesn’t work at all and Twitch with Heartbeat in general is glitch. 5. No one uses half the features such as chat rooms, website, community reviews, etc. so we have no idea if those are even working considering. 6. The Heartbeat icon/settings disappear from YouTube occasionally.

“network managers are nothing like recruiters, you may have been thinking network owners... I'm not sure what you meant so I'll withhold comment.”

Yes sorry Network Owners who are very much glorified recruiters with a bigger paycheck. Everyone who owns a network should read their network contract once or twice they’ll see terms like “no relationship” and “affiliate independent contractor”. (but that’s off topic). So the point standing, recruiters are the only ones really using Heartbeat.

“Dashboard 2.0 has been scrapped in favor of integrating dashboard 2.0 tech into the existing one and transitioning in an evolutionary way rather than a revolutionary one that would require us to maintain two separate code bases. You've already seen some of the improvements already and will see more coming down the pipe soon.”

We’ll take a Dashboard 3.0 over an “improved” dashboard. There is no need to run two back ends or generations of code, just rewrite the whole thing. If you’re told otherwise hire better coders.

“who said they weren't going to happen? I'm not aware of any projects that have been ended that are in beta.”

So Freedom Points are definitely a thing? Awesome 110% revenue share here we come. When can we start seeing more crowdfunded projects, featured content, or world news being updated?

As for all the old information:

Please see www.freedom.tm/dashboard for all the outdated information (which is pretty specific if your considering almost everything on there outdated and/or in need of a revamp).

In conclusion:

The feedback that has been provided is what we believe the general consensus of the active community. Heartbeat should be renamed to Heartbroken and put on the backburner after fixing some of the bugs. We don’t need any more updates to Heartbeat it’s fine the way it is now, we all rather have a better dashboard, better services, better everything else.

If you agree with this feel free to share this around.

And once again thanks for reading :)

Sprayz_cC

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Aug 17, 2014
YouTube
I would hate to see video replies coming back, this was only ever used as spam from what I seen.
I would like to see a suggestion box feature (somewhere for people to suggest future content)
Maybe an apply feature- apply to work with a content creator (collaborate or maybe artists)

Harry F

Rising User
Freedom! Member
I refuse to use heartbeat because it asks for PRIVATE INFORMATION remove this and I will consider using it
My thoughts exactly. It used to be an extremely useful tool, but I uninstalled it the moment it began asking for access to permissions that I feel are an invasion of my privacy. I'd always been a little skeptical of the extension, but there is absolutely no reason why it should be able to read all data on all sites I visit!

I think it's a bit bloated as well, and think that features like 'Dating for YouTubers' should just be web apps that don't require a browser extension, but that's just my opinion. :)

Xellius

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Jul 27, 2015
Germany at Home
YouTube
XelliusLP
i would like to have a seperate annonation template were u set ur template or use one from a video and change without going into the video settings for changeing the links and stuff

Anthony Smith

Administrator
Freedom! Member
Hello all, just an update on heartbeat 1.7.3 that came out this past Thursday

New features:
- Heartbeat Tours - This is mostly a framework that allows us to create guides for heartbeat and YouTube features
- Contact Freedom Support - This allows you to contact Freedom support directly from your my videos page

Improvements:
- We retired the additional information under the YouTube player in favor of the new heartbeat stats collection module
- Added trending videos back to the subscriber feed allowing you to see what's popular on the site again.
- Added channel backgrounds back
- Tons of fixes for Dark mode on YouTube
- Menu changes to make things easier to find.
- more boring code stuffs

Brent Cone

Distinguished User
Freedom! Member
Nov 21, 2014
Sweden
YouTube
I'm sure that Heartbeat only works on Google Chrome yeah? (Correct me if i'm wrong)

I use Firefox and I would love to have it working on Firefox too! :)

Anthony Smith

Administrator
Freedom! Member
I'm sure that Heartbeat only works on Google Chrome yeah? (Correct me if i'm wrong)

I use Firefox and I would love to have it working on Firefox too! :)
So there's a library called crossrider that we were hoping to use to go cross browser unfortunately some antivirus software falsely identifies it as a PUP or potentially unwanted program and sadly it causes some people to trust the extention less because of that fact. we're not abandoning the idea though. :)

Reactions: Brent Cone

Brent Cone

Distinguished User
Freedom! Member
Nov 21, 2014
Sweden
YouTube
So there's a library called crossrider that we were hoping to use to go cross browser unfortunately some antivirus software falsely identifies it as a PUP or potentially unwanted program and sadly it causes some people to trust the extention less because of that fact. we're not abandoning the idea though. :)
Okay cool! :D Goodluck with that! :)) I also think more people would use Heartbeat if it worked on other browser's too :D So that would be awesome also! ;)

Reactions: Anthony Smith

Anthony Smith

Administrator
Freedom! Member
I just got a nice update. the numbers are still coming in but it appears that heartbeat has about 28k active users enjoying our extension!! Cheers to all 28k of you and counting!!

[DOUBLEPOST=1444722075,1444667863][/DOUBLEPOST]
Now Down to business!!
Just a note about some upcoming features people can expect this week (probably Thursday or Friday)

• Option to force grid or list view for subscriptions
    • YouTube used to show subscriptions in a grid view but changed to a list view some time back. now they are playing with a grid view again with some users, we've found a way to give you the choice!!
  • We've fixed the indicator that lets you know if someone is subscribe to you
    • The idea here is that if you're watching YouTube elsewhere other than on your channel you may run into someone from your community and may want to make your comment replies count That's what this is it allows you to quickly identify those people who will appreciate your reply the most on the latest ERB video or game theory comment fight :p
  • Return of the rating bar that lets you know how well the video you're looking at is doing with a visible like/dislike ratio overlayed at the bottom of a thumbnail.
  • Tons of dark mode fixes
Get Heartbeat for chrome today!!

Last edited:

Anthony Smith

Administrator
Freedom! Member
well if you like that here is the full change list for this newest version of Heartbeat

1.74 (2015-10-15)
New feature:
  • Youtube: option to force grid or list view for subscriptions
Bugfix:
  • Heartbeat Tags: Language filter for heartbeat tags is blocking many common and relevant words
  • Darkmode: video search on the my videos page does not fully support our dark theme
  • Darkmode: YouTube stream chat box does not respect dark mode
  • Darkmode: check boxes on YouTube dark mode do not show a check, just a blue selection square
  • Darkmode: YouTube card link input box does not fully support dark mode
  • Darkmode: Heartbeat chat does not respect dark mode
  • Darkmode: Community settings to not fully respect dark mode
  • Darkmode: Analytics page not respect darkmode if user has no video
  • Darkmode: The YouTube B-roll page only partially respects dark mode
  • Darkmode: YouTubes audio library does not respect dark mode
  • Darkmode: YouTube help does not respect Dark mode
  • Darkmode: The YouTube about page does not fully respect Dark mode
  • Darkmode: channel mouseover popup does not respect dark mode
  • Darkmode: YouTube analytics realtime views only partially respects dark mode
  • Darkmode: Dark mode elongates the tags box on the edit screen
  • Subcribed To Me: subscribed to me indicator is broken
  • Options Page: heartbeat services menu completely reorders itself when checking or unchecking certain options
  • LFG: Unable to clear then recreate a category in Free collaborations
  • Rating Bar: research why the rating bar does not always show in search
  • Channel Background: Heartbeat backgrounds do not shift with the page content when the menu is opened
  • Heartbeat Stats Collection: Heartbeat stats collection arrow is reversed
[DOUBLEPOST=1445503009,1444905348][/DOUBLEPOST]We release the next update to heartbeat in 1 hour, who is excited to see what we've done?

Anthony Smith

Administrator
Freedom! Member
Another week and a whole ton of bug fixes and a couple new things too!! Here's the rundown for 1.75

New features:
  • Youtube: Tag finder (V 1.0)
  • Shorten Link: add goo.gl link shortner to the video edit page
Improvements:
  • Heartbeat Trending: heartbeat trending not showing videos in the subscriber feed or on heartbeat.tm
  • Youtube/Dailymotion: Restructure darkmode theme
  • Tour Module: allow threaded tour modules
Bugfixes:
  • Dailymotion: Heartbeat Icon does not follow dailymotion's style
  • Heartbeat Icon: Can't click to reorder heartbeat icon in youtube page
  • Disable Video Autoplay: the option "disable video autoplay" is on by default and should not be
  • Video Playlist: playlists not scailing properly when community review widget is present
UI Change:
  • Community Section: retire bouncing heartbeat logo from community section but keep assets for reuse

Nolan Westmore

I take up space
Freedom! Member
Jul 29, 2014
Canada
Actxr
I'm not sure if it is something to do with my browser or desktop or what, but I tend to have an issue where the "videos" popup on a channel homepage doesn't exist until I go to another page.
Instinctively I click in the usual spot, where it should be. But I am quite often redirected to playlists.