Solved thumbnail copyright?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koala_Steamed

Mythic User
Is the whole image just copied from someone else channel? If so that isn't allowed.

I've never heard of people getting content claims from just using an image from google and having it part of their thumbnail after it has been edited over. I think this technically isn't allowed either just never gets picked up on. I know a lot of people use the troll face and that is protected copyright...

Upvote 0

Koala_Steamed

Mythic User
Then yes that probably would be copyrighted and you could get in trouble for that. Even get your channel terminated.

If you don't want to just use a screen shot from the footage, there are quite a few guides on creating your own thumbnails for free. Also I'm sure some people from the GFX section of the forums would be happy to help you get started.

Upvote 0

Aqib Khan

Freedom! Member
Sep 26, 2015
in the section for partners only i was told that it is highly unlikely to get a copyright for a thumbnail

Upvote 0

icdeee

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Apr 11, 2015
London, UK
YouTube
in the section for partners only i was told that it is highly unlikely to get a copyright for a thumbnail

You are right - it is highly unlikely, so you can proceed with this at your own risk. I wondered about this previously as well ... rules may well change in the future but, for now, using copyrighted images for thumbnails isn't something that has caused any trouble as far as I know.

I don't think it is a right thing to do, but I do it personally as well (not encouraging you).. just because for my kind of videos (cover songs) it would help generate more interest and views... :( it's a tough one really.

Upvote 0

Nice

Yes, I Hate You
Freedom! Member
Oct 1, 2014
1v3.me
YouTube
VeliCore
When you're on the Google Image search results page click "Search Tools" > "Usage Rights" > Then choose any of the two with "Reuse" in it that doesn't have the "non-commercial" word in it.

Upvote 0

Brent Cone

Distinguished User
Freedom! Member
Nov 21, 2014
Sweden
YouTube
Youtube / Google are really strict when it comes to copyright so be careful on what you upload as one mistake can get you into big trouble! :/

Upvote 0

Angelo Bifulco

Rising User
Oct 14, 2015
YouTube
You are right - it is highly unlikely, so you can proceed with this at your own risk. I wondered about this previously as well ... rules may well change in the future but, for now, using copyrighted images for thumbnails isn't something that has caused any trouble as far as I know.

I don't think it is a right thing to do, but I do it personally as well (not encouraging you).. just because for my kind of videos (cover songs) it would help generate more interest and views... :( it's a tough one really.
Excuse me, could you answer my question? I would know if I can earn money with my cover songs videos..I read "not monetizated", I've just become partner of freedom..

Upvote 0

icdeee

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Apr 11, 2015
London, UK
YouTube
Excuse me, could you answer my question? I would know if I can earn money with my cover songs videos..I read "not monetizated", I've just become partner of freedom..

It depends on a case by case basis - in general if you created the cover from scratch i.e. your own voice and instruments recorded and did not use any copyrighted karaoke tracks, then your cover is normally good to stay on YouTube. For monetisation, companies can choose to make money from your videos but let the video stay up on YouTube, while others just let you earn money on your covers.

Reactions: Angelo Bifulco
Upvote 0

Angelo Bifulco

Rising User
Oct 14, 2015
YouTube
It depends on a case by case basis - in general if you created the cover from scratch i.e. your own voice and instruments recorded and did not use any copyrighted karaoke tracks, then your cover is normally good to stay on YouTube. For monetisation, companies can choose to make money from your videos but let the video stay up on YouTube, while others just let you earn money on your covers.
thanks..and, if I read now "not monetizated" on my cover videos, it means that i can't monetize that songs with freedom? or the problem is that i haven't inserted a paypal in my profile yet?

Upvote 0

icdeee

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Apr 11, 2015
London, UK
YouTube
thanks..and, if I read now "not monetizated" on my cover videos, it means that i can't monetize that songs with freedom? or the problem is that i haven't inserted a paypal in my profile yet?

Videos may not monetise automatically - click Edit under your video and check under Monetisation what options you have? Paypal is for payment from Freedom! only so not related to monetisation on YouTube. If you don't have any options to monetise your videos then perhaps there are some copyright issues related to your covers.

Reactions: Angelo Bifulco
Upvote 0

Angelo Bifulco

Rising User
Oct 14, 2015
YouTube
ok thanks! probably i can't monetize those videos, but i'm going to do other videos, without any kind of copyrights..moreover, I've sent a "ticket", freedom will help me understand :)

Reactions: icdeee
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.