YouTube What Happened To My Watch Time?

IamTabu316

Rising User
Freedom! Member
May 5, 2016
YouTube
I am very confused right now. I checked my average view duration and it was only like 2:00 long. So I shortened my videos to only 2 minutes. But the average percent viewed stays the same. It was like 20% with my longer videos, and when I shortened the videos the percentage was still 20%. How on Earth do I make the average percentage viewed go up?

TwilightPrinze

The Flying Dutchman
Community Team!
Freedom! Member
If i understand correct your view percentage was 20% before the edits wich is probably for your overall content?
Once you adjust the video's you can't expect that it will be higher straight after you have to give it some time to make a new calculation.
That aside why would you shorten the video's?

Nolan Westmore

I take up space
Freedom! Member
Jul 29, 2014
Canada
Actxr
Check your watch time among your subscribers only. Odds are the majority of people that are watching your new content at this stage are not only not subscribed, but have never stepped foot on your channel ground at any point in the past. The average YouTube watch time is 40% across most videos everywhere ever. I'd focus on making more entertaining or engaging content that brings your audience retention up to that point.

As expected, you are of youth and a gaming channel. But it would appear that your recording quality is right about as slow as it gets. Audio clarity is rather poor [ref: Roblox: The Normal Elevator], but that aside your age it is harder for us of older ages to really give much for a young person's gaming channel. But you are also trying to poke little holes into the YouTube demographic that is Minecraft. The only way you could possibly get organic views for those videos is through related feeds.

Your best chance at getting higher audience retention is first to get a better microphone, but second to focus on games and production styles that bring in people of your age group. Something that younger demographics would be more interested in watching. I've noticed with gaming channels run by younger people that they trying to play games that are intended for older people, trying to get their attention, but the older people don't want to give them much mind because a higher pitched voice overtop of a horror game doesn't work. As unfortunate as it might sound, your best way forward is to produce content that would be considered age-appropriate, which means to cut out the FNAF and titles like "MURDERING YOUTUBERS".

Pure things like that Pixelmon thing and the MCPE Christmas update would ultimately be the best stratagem for your channel as it is more likely to bring in people of your age and those are the people that would be more likely to stay around for longer.

From there, it also helps in the gaming video industry to make videos that are of a decent but not choking length. Something around 5 to 7 minutes would be the area you should be looking for. Although it's important to remember that there will always be people who will click away right away, either it be from a boring intro or just people being uninterested after clicking.

As I said, focus on getting that 40% average viewer retention across the board.

IamTabu316

Rising User
Freedom! Member
May 5, 2016
YouTube
Ok. I appreciate your help! I will change those non age appropriate titles. Thanks a lot!
Check your watch time among your subscribers only. Odds are the majority of people that are watching your new content at this stage are not only not subscribed, but have never stepped foot on your channel ground at any point in the past. The average YouTube watch time is 40% across most videos everywhere ever. I'd focus on making more entertaining or engaging content that brings your audience retention up to that point.

As expected, you are of youth and a gaming channel. But it would appear that your recording quality is right about as slow as it gets. Audio clarity is rather poor [ref: Roblox: The Normal Elevator], but that aside your age it is harder for us of older ages to really give much for a young person's gaming channel. But you are also trying to poke little holes into the YouTube demographic that is Minecraft. The only way you could possibly get organic views for those videos is through related feeds.

Your best chance at getting higher audience retention is first to get a better microphone, but second to focus on games and production styles that bring in people of your age group. Something that younger demographics would be more interested in watching. I've noticed with gaming channels run by younger people that they trying to play games that are intended for older people, trying to get their attention, but the older people don't want to give them much mind because a higher pitched voice overtop of a horror game doesn't work. As unfortunate as it might sound, your best way forward is to produce content that would be considered age-appropriate, which means to cut out the FNAF and titles like "MURDERING YOUTUBERS".

Pure things like that Pixelmon thing and the MCPE Christmas update would ultimately be the best stratagem for your channel as it is more likely to bring in people of your age and those are the people that would be more likely to stay around for longer.

From there, it also helps in the gaming video industry to make videos that are of a decent but not choking length. Something around 5 to 7 minutes would be the area you should be looking for. Although it's important to remember that there will always be people who will click away right away, either it be from a boring intro or just people being uninterested after clicking.

As I said, focus on getting that 40% average viewer retention across the board.[/QUOTE
[DOUBLEPOST=1482432590][/DOUBLEPOST]

As I said, focus on getting that 40% average viewer retention across the board.
Also I checked the average percentage viewed on my channel for my subscribers, it says 28%. That's very bad. How can I fix that?

Last edited:

Nolan Westmore

I take up space
Freedom! Member
Jul 29, 2014
Canada
Actxr
Ok. I appreciate your help! I will change those non age appropriate titles. Thanks a lot!
[DOUBLEPOST=1482432590][/DOUBLEPOST]
Also I checked the average percentage viewed on my channel for my subscribers, it says 28%. That's very bad. How can I fix that?
I think I had said it in my post, make more engaging content, stuff that people are willing to watch for longer. Something more entertaining generally fits the mix, which means intensive video editing is a must.

IamTabu316

Rising User
Freedom! Member
May 5, 2016
YouTube
I think I had said it in my post, make more engaging content, stuff that people are willing to watch for longer. Something more entertaining generally fits the mix, which means intensive video editing is a must.
I had music in the background and use jump cuts, what else can i do?

Nolan Westmore

I take up space
Freedom! Member
Jul 29, 2014
Canada
Actxr
I had music in the background and use jump cuts, what else can i do?
On YouTube, the only further thing you can do is be legitimately entertaining. It's generally easy to make jokes relating to a game if you are well versed in some particular things. OfficialNerdCubed makes jokes often relating to shows he watches or books he reads.