A lot of people on this forum are clearly not ready for YouTube.

TheFriendlyBroski

Renowned User
Freedom! Member
Apr 4, 2014
London
YouTube
To preface this, I just want to say that my YouTube channel is probably no better than a lot of other people's here but the main difference is that some people understand their
what they are working with and what they want to do while others
are obviously not prepared.
For those channels who are stuck in limbo and aren't getting anywhere, I suggest reading this.

The amount of people I see on this forum who do gaming specific content but are clearly not ready to do so is kind of crazy.

First of all is the type of channel you are running, a lot of the time I see Minecraft only channels that question or even complain about not getting enough views, likes or subscribers.
Well guess what, you have basically set yourself up for a long and arduous road because Minecraft channels are a dime a dozen, what makes your channel special or stand out? What makes you think you can gain views over those who have been doing it for longer and better?

The same can be said for those who only rely on CoD, GTA, CS:GO and other popular games that already have a large YouTube base.
It's going to be very hard for you to even start getting views at all SO don't complain about it.

Second is your actual video quality, this is a big one and applies to quite a few people I have seen on this forum. People really do need to get an understanding of game capture software, a lot of the times it's not as simple as pressing record and go.
You have to do some research first, look into game capture software that is best suited for you, understand what bitrate you need to record in and so on.
IF YOU start recording gameplay that looks like **** then sorry mate, no one is going to want to watch it.

Thirdly, are you even able to record and upload? This ties into my second point but if you're trying to start a gaming channel on your Dad's old laptop which can't even run Minesweeper then don't force out video that will obviously be in low quality and have a choppy FPS.
Furthermore, if you have a really **** internet connection and it takes you five hours or more to upload a five-minute video in 1080p then how about pulling back from YouTube till you are able to afford/or ask for better internet. There is no point in forcing yourself to wait around to upload a video when you could be doing better things and preparing yourself to do good content.

Overall, I ain't saying give up or that your channel is a load of ****. I'm just trying to put across the fact that some people are not ready to do YouTube and don't understand many of the concepts that are needed to create good content.

1SB2Gamer

Brabbit1987
Freedom! Member
Mar 2, 2014
YouTube
I can definitely resonate with your third point about FPS, and agree 100%.

I was doing a series on Fallout 4, but through the 10 episodes I did .. the game just ran like absolute garbage. So I made an announcement that I wouldn't be recording it any longer. I don't want that kind of low quality on my channel.

If the game runs so bad that it's hard for me to enjoy it, then people watching are likely going to feel worse.

Deron Campbell

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Aug 3, 2015
YouTube
To preface this, I just want to say that my YouTube channel is probably no better than a lot of other people's here but the main difference is that some people understand their
For those channels who are stuck in limbo and aren't getting anywhere, I suggest reading this.

The amount of people I see on this forum who do gaming specific content but are clearly not ready to do so is kind of crazy.

First of all is the type of channel you are running, a lot of the time I see Minecraft only channels that question or even complain about not getting enough views, likes or subscribers.
Well guess what, you have basically set yourself up for a long and arduous road because Minecraft channels are a dime a dozen, what makes your channel special or stand out? What makes you think you can gain views over those who have been doing it for longer and better?

The same can be said for those who only rely on CoD, GTA, CS:GO and other popular games that already have a large YouTube base.
It's going to be very hard for you to even start getting views at all SO don't complain about it.

Second is your actual video quality, this is a big one and applies to quite a few people I have seen on this forum. People really do need to get an understanding of game capture software, a lot of the times it's not as simple as pressing record and go.
You have to do some research first, look into game capture software that is best suited for you, understand what bitrate you need to record in and so on.
IF YOU start recording gameplay that looks like **** then sorry mate, no one is going to want to watch it.

Thirdly, are you even able to record and upload? This ties into my second point but if you're trying to start a gaming channel on your Dad's old laptop which can't even run Minesweeper then don't force out video that will obviously be in low quality and have a choppy FPS.
Furthermore, if you have a really **** internet connection and it takes you five hours or more to upload a five-minute video in 1080p then how about pulling back from YouTube till you are able to afford/or ask for better internet. There is no point in forcing yourself to wait around to upload a video when you could be doing better things and preparing yourself to do good content.

Overall, I ain't saying give up or that your channel is a load of ****. I'm just trying to put across the fact that some people are not ready to do YouTube and don't understand many of the concepts that are needed to create good content.
Finally someone said it, so true !

Reactions: UnstoppableFrost

Nolan Westmore

I take up space
Freedom! Member
Jul 29, 2014
Canada
Actxr
I agree with you completely. Some people simply do not understand how YouTube works and how lost in the crowd they can be. Personally, I despise every channel that complains about view counts, as that shows me that they only want the fame and the money that comes with said fame.

YouTube is a hobby before a job, and it would be best to be able to do what you want to do in the video industry. I used to be a gaming channel, now I want to focus on vlogs and audioplays. I'll still do gaming videos because they help me better my video editing skill set, but I don't want to be a gamer as a career. If it were to become lucrative I would still do it, but it is not my strive or drive on YouTube as it once was.

Gaming channels in general are a dime a case, and if it weren't for the different poorly-optimized voices in the background, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between one and the next.

Some of these kids don't even have the time to make videos but still try to force themselves to.
"I want to upload an awesome edited video each day" said the high school student.
"Your son is failing" said the principal to the parents.

Really? Get your priorities in check. I once had this hobby of mine affect my relationships and real work.

1SB2Gamer

Brabbit1987
Freedom! Member
Mar 2, 2014
YouTube
I agree with you completely. Some people simply do not understand how YouTube works and how lost in the crowd they can be. Personally, I despise every channel that complains about view counts, as that shows me that they only want the fame and the money that comes with said fame.

YouTube is a hobby before a job, and it would be best to be able to do what you want to do in the video industry. I used to be a gaming channel, now I want to focus on vlogs and audioplays. I'll still do gaming videos because they help me better my video editing skill set, but I don't want to be a gamer as a career. If it were to become lucrative I would still do it, but it is not my strive or drive on YouTube as it once was.

Gaming channels in general are a dime a case, and if it weren't for the different poorly-optimized voices in the background, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between one and the next.

Some of these kids don't even have the time to make videos but still try to force themselves to.
"I want to upload an awesome edited video each day" said the high school student.
"Your son is failing" said the principal to the parents.

Really? Get your priorities in check. I once had this hobby of mine affect my relationships and real work.

Very well put. That is also something I actually never even considered. Being ready to be a youtuber does include the time to be able to do it.

I, personally, like doing a gaming channel though. :p Makes games more fun to play.

TwilightPrinze

The Flying Dutchman
Community Team!
Freedom! Member
Have to agree on this, the many people complaining here is loaded.
I am full aware that my content is not 100% top notch quality and because it is gameplay only it can be difficult sometimes, the difference in this on the other hand is that i chose for this option and am aware of it and therefore don't complain about it.
There are alot of Gamers on Youtube with all a variety if content and with that most people must understand that certain games have thousands of video's wich makes it a challenge to gain a vieuw base. If you aren't up to compete in that challenge then lay down you controller or keyboard and stop.

Reactions: UnstoppableFrost

Hail Kira

Game Show Host
Freedom! Member
Feb 5, 2014
British Columbia
YouTube
We make it look so easy that's why... lol

Thing is alot of people start recording without first learning really anything. Youtube requires a vast array of skills...
Video editing
Photo editing
SEO
Social Networking
An eye for "Directing"
Etc...
I personally was shocked when I found out how many youtubers were half my age. Lol
Though... I did learn alot of the skills I use on youtube around the age of 16 myself...

Kudos!

Gamerman98

Freedom! Member
Jul 26, 2015
canada
YouTube
Well said and I agree 100%! Yes it is a hard and long road when you are doing a gaming channel because now there are thousands of them and you want to be one to stick out, I know that feeling all too well. Personally I just try to do the best I can and just overall have fun with every video I make.

TheFriendlyBroski

Renowned User
Freedom! Member
Apr 4, 2014
London
YouTube
Well said and I agree 100%! Yes it is a hard and long road when you are doing a gaming channel because now there are thousands of them and you want to be one to stick out, I know that feeling all too well. Personally I just try to do the best I can and just overall have fun with every video I make.
That's all you can do most of the time.

CMTXRATED

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Jan 15, 2016
YouTube

You have good points. But you have to learn if you keep researching and researching and never get into the real thing it's pointless. You start somewhere and you work hard once you start! Yes you may have to be original! These all Minecraft channels I agree it will be hard but they will
Find a lot of other things to do in Minecraft and this will attract viewers. And before you start hedging me saying my channel is all Minecraft it isn't. I play a big variety of games. What I'm saying is if you put enough hard work in sharing and making good qaulity videos then you will end up somewhere good! I've seen many channels in this network rise very high. I've seen an all Minecraft channel in 2 months reach 1K and then soon after reach 2K she is currently hitting 3K as We speak pal.

Phil Kidd

Human Person
Freedom! Member
Dec 10, 2014
Ottawa
YouTube

Agreed. I think the majority at least need to get to a point in their life where they have substantial independence, putting money they've worked for toward good equipment and quality content. Be it flipping burgers or running a business, having that experience adds to maturity and gives perspective.

I'm glad i didn't start my channel when I was 14.

Goped Fred

Distinguished User
Freedom! Member
Feb 13, 2016
A little place called Oblivion
YouTube
A lot of people don't understand that many do YouTube as a hobby. You see these big tone YouTube personalities driving big fancy cars and spending globs of money on things and of course it looks tempting. You definitely need to enjoy what you do and realize how much work it takes to get to that point. There's a reason many channels are failing and struggling on YouTube, and you basically hit the nail right on the head.

FeelingsToontown

Formerly FeelingsToontown
Freedom! Member
Sep 7, 2014
Indiana
YouTube
I agree all the way. While I don't consider myself the BEST youtuber or anything, I feel like having thousands of people creating, let's be honest here, garbage, and then complain that "Freedom! didn't help me grow!!!!"

You need to do something new. Or at least try to. I don't even want to know how many minecraft videos exist from people on this forum alone