Advice for gaming video please

Tony42

Rising User
Sep 7, 2015
Hello everybody,
I have a friend who posted gaming video and maybe I'm going to do the same someday.

But I need some advices concerning a part who take me a lot of time, the compression...
I want to compress a bit my videos so that it is less heavy and then the upload may be faster too.

But it's very delicate because I would want to lose the least possible quality.

I tested compression several times with Format Factory, FreeMake Video Converter, Handbrake, Xilisoft (...) but every time the video is too damaged/jerky or then its dimensions becomes too small.

For your compression which software do you use?
And then if you have advice, don't hesitate to say it.

Fourth Wall Games

A Sarcastic Brit
Aug 17, 2014
London, UK
youtube.com
YouTube
I would not recommend compressing any further after rendering the video using your editing software, you will always lose quality. When doing the initial export from the editing software, get it to the size that you want it to be. Bit rate will determine the size, so just have that to the amount you want and you will be fine.

Higher bitrate = higher quality, but also larger file size.

Gamenugz

Freedom! Member
Feb 18, 2015
YouTube
gamenugz
I use Adobe Premiere Elements 13, it's expensive, but it gives you a ton of options when compressing video. For me, a 13 min video may only take about 10 mins to render. I used to use Magix Movie Edit Pro for everything, but once I switched to Premiere, I realised it was a lot easier to edit gaming videos, and it's not hard to use once you get into it. Also I record in 720p so it helps with the speed.

Tony42

Rising User
Sep 7, 2015
Thanks for all your comments.

It's possible to compress a video file and keep a "correct quality" but it takes a very looong time (if you're like me) to do it.
And it need some bitrate calculation

After days of trying, I did it for two videos (there were 1.6 Gb and 1.8 Gb, after compressing there are approximately 800 Mb but with a normal quality or maybe some dvd quality)
But for now I can't make the same thing for a new video, brief, it's going to take me times again x/

@Gamenugz : I was going to use it too (or maybe Sony Vegas Pro or Cinema 4D) but I don't think I can paid for it, with Premiere you can reduce or compress file size?
just to know.

Sometimes ago, I had planned to use Premiere or Vegas Pro to denoise/enhance a video or to compress others
but : or I forgot to do it, or I can only take the free trial which is temporary ^^"

Gamenugz

Freedom! Member
Feb 18, 2015
YouTube
gamenugz
Thanks for all your comments.

It's possible to compress a video file and keep a "correct quality" but it takes a very looong time (if you're like me) to do it.
And it need some bitrate calculation

After days of trying, I did it for two videos (there were 1.6 Gb and 1.8 Gb, after compressing there are approximately 800 Mb but with a normal quality or maybe some dvd quality)
But for now I can't make the same thing for a new video, brief, it's going to take me times again x/

@Gamenugz : I was going to use it too (or maybe Sony Vegas Pro or Cinema 4D) but I don't think I can paid for it, with Premiere you can reduce or compress file size?
just to know.

Sometimes ago, I had planned to use Premiere or Vegas Pro to denoise/enhance a video or to compress others
but : or I forgot to do it, or I can only take the free trial which is temporary ^^"

With Premiere Elements, you can choose the bitrate (not sure if this falls under compression), I was able to cut my bitrate down by half of what they started me out at and the videos still looked good, I was never able to do that in Magix Movie Edit Pro. You can even save your settings and name them, so you only have to adjust it once.

Neal

Mod
Freedom! Member
Jan 5, 2014
Illinois
YouTube
nealcarico
With all those comments above, I'd like to say that there ARE some compressing tools that can compress decently and NOT lose quality. It's rare, but I've seen it. With that said, best bet is to just not compress down after editing. :)