Which appeals to you more?

• Total voters

gunsage

Freedom! Member
What are people looking more for on youtube: short vids or long? So hear me out. For most of us, short videos are super easy to digest and allow for easily bingeable content. Several channels that have adopted the vine format, for example, have lots of 30 second or less videos that have a tendency to link each other so you're watching them one after another.

However, as a gamer (and longplayer), it's hard to get the happy medium. Currently I'm doing impression videos that I try to keep around 30 minutes, but can take up to an hour per video, depending on the type of game. A great example of this is my video for Shin Megami Tensei - Strange Journey, where the actual gameplay doesn't start until almost an hour in!

I'm also doing a longplay of Breath of Fire 2 and I'm breaking it up into 30 minute segments. Previously I did a Breath of Fire 1 playthrough, but it was in hour long segments and I realized that was significantly harder to digest. Finally, I've also started doing quick skits where I have a silly idea I've come up with involving gaming of some sort, so I put something together that is less than a minute (or even less than 15 seconds in one case).

TL;DR version - when you go on youtube, do you have a tendency to go more toward quick skits or videos that may take longer, but show a lot of gameplay?

TwilightPrinze

The Flying Dutchman
Community Team!
Freedom! Member
What are people looking more for on youtube: short vids or long? So hear me out. For most of us, short videos are super easy to digest and allow for easily bingeable content. Several channels that have adopted the vine format, for example, have lots of 30 second or less videos that have a tendency to link each other so you're watching them one after another.

However, as a gamer (and longplayer), it's hard to get the happy medium. Currently I'm doing impression videos that I try to keep around 30 minutes, but can take up to an hour per video, depending on the type of game. A great example of this is my video for Shin Megami Tensei - Strange Journey, where the actual gameplay doesn't start until almost an hour in!

I'm also doing a longplay of Breath of Fire 2 and I'm breaking it up into 30 minute segments. Previously I did a Breath of Fire 1 playthrough, but it was in hour long segments and I realized that was significantly harder to digest. Finally, I've also started doing quick skits where I have a silly idea I've come up with involving gaming of some sort, so I put something together that is less than a minute (or even less than 15 seconds in one case).

TL;DR version - when you go on youtube, do you have a tendency to go more toward quick skits or videos that may take longer, but show a lot of gameplay?
I myself make Raw gameplays from 30 min+ but i there is audience for both. Quick video's you have the chance people will watch if quicker and the whole video though

WsDm Clan

New User
Jul 14, 2017
Hey Twilight, there are many types of people but the two people I think you are talking about. The short videos are like montages of cool clips from a game and the second type of person is the walkthrough, tutorial,review person. I would make two types of videos like different Series, one where you do short montages and cool clips and then a walkthrough,tutorial,review series.

Reactions: Redd Sunn72

Chris Delmuro

Jul 15, 2017
YouTube
ChrisDelmuro
This is really difficult to say. But I would say both are really good. For short ones, I'd recommend highlights like cool kill streaks or funny parts with a lot of skips/cuts. And for the long ones, for really great story based games.

zeke morgan

Mythic User
Freedom! Member
Dec 8, 2015
YouTube
For me it would really depend on the content and what was being shown, as I don't mind watching short videos if these are on tips or hints or explainations of things, but I also don't mind sitting through long videos either

TheCodyNetwork

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Aug 7, 2016
United States
YouTube
TheCodyNetwork
It truly depends on the channel and the game. I believe anywhere between 10 and 20 minutes is a pretty good length, but it depends on how good the video is and if it can keep me, as a viewer, interested for long.
But, it also depends on the game. If you need the video to be 20 minutes long to keep all the important parts of the game in that episode, then do it! Just make sure that is all interesting content, and it's not a video that was recorded as 20 minutes and uploaded as 20 minutes.
All in all, I typically enjoy shorter videos, around 10 minutes, with just key bits and pieces so I don't have to watch unedited silence and other slightly boring moments.
I hope this helps!