Doing long hour recording ?

Dexicos

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Jan 14, 2016
So as the title says, is it the best option to do a long hour recording, and that once you're done, you'd just split them into episodes ? like i'm saying about 2/3hours of raw footage then split them into like 15mins episode

Cause there might be some cons, like you might sound bored for quite a while or you're out of topic to talk about after that long hour or you'd loose your voice during the process of recording.

So what is your opinion ?

Kratos Aurion

You Earnestly believe you could defeat me?
Freedom! Member
May 8, 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
YouTube
Depends what you want to do. I do it all the time myself (Though usually those are full episodes rather than things I break into mutliple episodes)

Dexicos

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Jan 14, 2016
Depends what you want to do. I do it all the time myself (Though usually those are full episodes rather than things I break into mutliple episodes)
So can i ask, in your Final Fantasy, do you record like 1 episode then take a break then do the next episode on the same day or do you record 1 episode then next day you'd continue the next episode ?

Last edited:

CaptainMaxwell7

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Mar 6, 2015
My base.
YouTube
I don't record such videos unless it's a game I play for the first time, but the end result turns out to be 30 mins which is okay. Anyways the reason is if you don't have that much of a fanbase, then they won't feel like watching an hour long video of yours, and you won't get excited either while recording it. Keep it to short videos which is better in my opinion if you have low number of subs.

Dexicos

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Jan 14, 2016
I don't record such videos unless it's a game I play for the first time, but the end result turns out to be 30 mins which is okay. Anyways the reason is if you don't have that much of a fanbase, then they won't feel like watching an hour long video of yours, and you won't get excited either while recording it. Keep it to short videos which is better in my opinion if you have low number of subs.
I'm actually don't plan on doing a long hour episode, my main question "if its good to record for a long hour, then edit and split it into multiple episodes."
Like for those who are schedule their video for release.
I rather keep it short like you said, "they won't feel like watching an hour long video of yours"

Kratos Aurion

You Earnestly believe you could defeat me?
Freedom! Member
May 8, 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
YouTube
So can i ask, in your Final Fantasy, do you record like 1 episode then take a break then do the next episode on the same day or do you record 1 episode then next day you'd continue the next episode ?

Oh yeah I do that with it and pretty much everything else I play. Basically just long episodes and usually doing more than 1 per day if I have the time for it since I like to be ahead.

I'm actually don't plan on doing a long hour episode, my main question "if its good to record for a long hour, then edit and split it into multiple episodes."
Like for those who are schedule their video for release.
I rather keep it short like you said, "they won't feel like watching an hour long video of yours"

I think that's fine if you want to do that but when you mean split it up are you going to open it up welcoming back your viewers to the next episode and ending episodes with something like a good bye? Or are you planning for it to be more abrupt?

Enmoshin

Enmoo~
Jul 10, 2014
YouTube
I do a little bit of both. Mostly because sometimes I lose track of time, but I try to break them up into about 20 minute episodes with the exception for pilot series (first episode of the LP).

But I like breaking mine up into small parts instead of doing hour long recordings because I like having an intro and outro to my videos. Sometimes when I do the hour longs, I don't get that option and the end is very abrupt.

Dexicos

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Jan 14, 2016
I think that's fine if you want to do that but when you mean split it up are you going to open it up welcoming back your viewers to the next episode and ending episodes with something like a good bye? Or are you planning for it to be more abrupt?

I do a little bit of both. Mostly because sometimes I lose track of time, but I try to break them up into about 20 minute episodes with the exception for pilot series (first episode of the LP).

But I like breaking mine up into small parts instead of doing hour long recordings because I like having an intro and outro to my videos. Sometimes when I do the hour longs, I don't get that option and the end is very abrupt.

But now that you mentioned it, about the intro/welcoming and the outro/goodbye, might be an issue for long hour.
Cause i do like to introduced and end it off, on the other hand is the schedule of when to release as i would think it would be easier if i'd do the long hour and that i don't have to worry about next episode, cause i've done recording, editing and upload. I guess i might as well do small recording then do another one after a short breaks.

majkxter x

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Jan 5, 2016
YouTube
If it is some interesting content I don't mind watching a longer video, but if it has some boring stuff it is better to have shorter videos. For example if that boring content is at begining of video many will stop watching, etc. Good luck. :)

Enmoshin

Enmoo~
Jul 10, 2014
YouTube
But now that you mentioned it, about the intro/welcoming and the outro/goodbye, might be an issue for long hour.
Cause i do like to introduced and end it off, on the other hand is the schedule of when to release as i would think it would be easier if i'd do the long hour and that i don't have to worry about next episode, cause i've done recording, editing and upload. I guess i might as well do small recording then do another one after a short breaks.
Yea, sometimes if I do long episodes and I break them into smaller ones, the ending is very sudden. For me, it's just not something that I enjoy.
Usually, the recording program has a timer on the side. What I suggest is that, if you have two monitors, pull your recording program to the 2nd monitor and occasionally look over at the time and see how long it's been. Or keep a timer on your phone and on silent. So it'll just vibrate whenever you've reached your 20 minutes or however long you plan to record.

Reactions: Dexicos

GLP Matty

CEO and Founder of Illuminati
Freedom! Member
Jul 8, 2014
Scotland
YouTube
GLPMatty
I used to record an hour of the forest but the game would be that boring I could fit all the interesting parts into a 15 minute video. If its a game like say bioshock or fallout where you are following a characters story kinda thing and you need to have every second of gameplay in then I recommend maybe trying to record two episodes worth in one sitting. If you can do more awesome! Some people can chat for hours where as I for example need to take a break or I get boring and run out of crap to chat.

Krimson Cobra

Rising User
Sep 9, 2014
Colorado
YouTube
That's the way I do it... sort of at least. So far this year has only been simultaneously streaming and recording using OBS on twitch. Its good for streamers because you can use OBS to record the entire video and if lest say your playing a game with story you can go back and edit out the boring parts and just leave in when you have high energy or an important part of the story happens or like I do with multiplayer games just chop it all up into very short videos and make it all the funny, fail, or other moments that you want in the video! Hope this helped!