Hissing noise when recording??

madmanencore

May 4, 2015
YouTube
hello me again :D
So iv been doing youtube for a little bit of time now and so far always edit out the hissing noise i seem to get when recording now, i was searching round to see if i can solve the problem so i dont have to keep editing it out.
Now im using Audacity to record the microphone.
Soundblaster Z sound card,
Using a condenser bm-700 microphone plugged into
a usb which has two 3.5mm female ports one for mic and one for headphones.
the mic is linked to that with xlr to 3.5mm jack.
So the problem i get it as i record using this setup i get a hissing noise consistently, i have tried plugging the mic into the sound card also but i still get the noise, or the sound is very quite even at full volume, the only way to remove the sound plugged into the sound card is to use the noise reduction, setting but this seems to make my voice sound robotic.
Any ideas would be great
thanks

aJay

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Mar 31, 2016
YouTube
ajayishappy
hello me again :D
So iv been doing youtube for a little bit of time now and so far always edit out the hissing noise i seem to get when recording now, i was searching round to see if i can solve the problem so i dont have to keep editing it out.
Now im using Audacity to record the microphone.
Soundblaster Z sound card,
Using a condenser bm-700 microphone plugged into
a usb which has two 3.5mm female ports one for mic and one for headphones.
the mic is linked to that with xlr to 3.5mm jack.
So the problem i get it as i record using this setup i get a hissing noise consistently, i have tried plugging the mic into the sound card also but i still get the noise, or the sound is very quite even at full volume, the only way to remove the sound plugged into the sound card is to use the noise reduction, setting but this seems to make my voice sound robotic.
Any ideas would be great
thanks
Can you give us a clip of the hissing noise?

U

User.123120

if your using Audacity, then you can actually remove that noise :D
Just record that and go to effects and then Noise Remover or something close to that xD
and then click "Get noise profile" and then on your main Audio highlight the lot and click the effect and then press ok! :D if you need pictures i can send them :D

madmanencore

May 4, 2015
YouTube
Cheers I currently do that but my question was how do I get rid of it without editing, as if I wanted to live stream then your just hear the hissing noise. And sometimes edit the noise using noise reduction can take some quality away, making the voice robtic sounding. Be better if don't get the noise while recording. Thanks for reply :) advice is always good

U

User.123120

Cheers I currently do that but my question was how do I get rid of it without editing, as if I wanted to live stream then your just hear the hissing noise. And sometimes edit the noise using noise reduction can take some quality away, making the voice robtic sounding. Be better if don't get the noise while recording. Thanks for reply :) advice is always good

I've never found away to be honest i always thought it was the mic quality, the only thing that helps me is turning it down through windows sound :( Sorry i wish i could help more :/

madmanencore

May 4, 2015
YouTube
Ok no worries itsjustjord been reading around that I might need to get a audio interface as the mic might not be getting enough power from the pc, as usb have variable power.
And iv tried turning the volume down just makes it even quiter and still get hissing.
Thanks though guys

Fourth Wall Games

A Sarcastic Brit
Aug 17, 2014
London, UK
youtube.com
YouTube
What is the gain on your Mic? That is basically just background static that happens with any Mic when the gain is too high. Set the gain to a point where you can hear no hissing.

I have my gain at about 10/100 and never hear any background sounds.

madmanencore

May 4, 2015
YouTube
Ok I'll have a look later I have been using the custom auto gain, but have tried turning it off just mic is very quiet but I'll have a look when back cheers.

Fourth Wall Games

A Sarcastic Brit
Aug 17, 2014
London, UK
youtube.com
YouTube
The mic will be quiet yeah, but you can raise its volume in your editing software. Also, it is a very cheap mic, cheap ones often have a lot worse quality, more expensive ones are built to prevent the hissing that you can hear.

madmanencore

May 4, 2015
YouTube
Ok mate I'll try that have a look, at the settings again Ideally want to not have to edit it as if I want to stream I can't edit the sound.
Would using a mixer or audio interface like the scarlet not solve it.
Will look at getting a better mic when can afford it like the technica at2020

madmanencore

May 4, 2015
YouTube
doesnt seem like changing the volume does anything it seems to have the hiss at the same volume screen shot of when im not talking, that is also gain turned off.
hissaudacity.png

madmanencore

May 4, 2015
YouTube
yea think it might be the usb adapter as when i put it directly into the sound card, and use noise reduction the hissing is gone but, slightly alters the voice and is a little quite. Just have to do what I can for now and Yea think soon as i can ill get the At2020 as that should solve the issue and a small mixer or interface to power it. Thanks for the help.
Appreciate it :D

madmanencore

May 4, 2015
YouTube
thanks for the reply, yea always a pain though having to edit the noise out, doesnt seem too bad now after messing with some settings no longer using the usb ether so that helped. How did you get on with your new mic and what mic is it if you dont mind me asking.