How do you grow a gaming YouTube channel with no commentary?

Fourth Wall Games

A Sarcastic Brit
Aug 17, 2014
London, UK
youtube.com
YouTube
A gaming channel with no commentary is the hardest type of channel to grow. There are only 2 or 3 large channels that do this content and they have cornered the market, and even though they are pretty big, even they are struggling to grow. It is very rare to see one above 1,000,000 subs. With commentary, there are hundreds above 1,000,000 which kind of shows the importance.

If you wish to stick to no commentary, then unfortunately I would have to say that you should expect not to grow. Harsh but true.

Last edited:

BloodRangerGaming

Rising User
Apr 30, 2016
YouTube
I see and those are good points.
I use the Elgato HD60 to record gameplay. I don't have Sony Vegas and I would like to get it if only I could afford it. I've tried editing videos in iMovie, but the files get big and it takes a long time just to render large gameplay videos.

As for NCS, I'll consider it and experiment on test videos.
As for thumbnails, it can be challenging because everyone else who does walkthroughs just about uses the same format such as part #, # ~ , and so on. I just need to create a format that is original and stands out.

Thank you. :)
no worries at all man good luck and get it pre cracked

slumberRabbit

Rising User
Jan 2, 2016
A gaming channel with no copyright is the hardest type of channel to grow. There are only 2 or 3 large channels that do this content and they have cornered the market, and even though they are pretty big, even they are struggling to grow. It is very rare to see one above 1,000,000 subs. With commentary, there are hundreds above 1,000,000 which kind of shows the importance.

If you wish to stick to no commentary, then unfortunately I would have to say that you should expect not to grow. Harsh but true.

I see and thank you for your honesty.
I may not get 1,000,000 subs, but I'm enjoying the channel that I have.

NaruKyuuUzusune

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Apr 9, 2015
Kuala Lumpura
YouTube
It's actually quite hard but not to worry for I might be one of the few people who enjoy videos without commentary. It's all about luck with finding your audience. Good luck!

slumberRabbit

Rising User
Jan 2, 2016
It's actually quite hard but not to worry for I might be one of the few people who enjoy videos without commentary. It's all about luck with finding your audience. Good luck!

Yeah and I'm doing my best.
I'm currently redoing most of my thumbnails in a certain format to make them better.
The new thumbnails look way better than before.

Last edited:

Jac Morton

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Feb 19, 2016
UK, West Yorkshire
YouTube
shotonwhite
I've started a gaming YouTube channel in 2013 and created a new one last December.
I don't do commentary on my gaming YouTube channel.

I've seen many other YouTube gaming channels without commentary and I know they've been doing this way before me. That's one of the reasons I started a gaming YouTube channel; playing video games without commentary and having fun. They have many subscribers and I'm sure they deserve it.

My question is, how do you grow a gaming YouTube channel with no commentary?
Since there is no commentary, how does one grow without the personality of a regular gaming YouTube commentator?

It can be challenging to get my videos promoted to the first page since I don't have much views, even with the right tags.

Have you tried cutting your videos, so for instance when you die cutting to a meme and make the videos have personality that way.

slumberRabbit

Rising User
Jan 2, 2016
As you're carrying no personality all, as you don't talk, all you can do is keep it very high quality (1080p60) (1440p60) (4k60) just something that spreads you out from most. And.. that's about it honestly.

I'll keep the video quality high and thank you for your honesty.

slumberRabbit

Rising User
Jan 2, 2016
Have you tried cutting your videos, so for instance when you die cutting to a meme and make the videos have personality that way.
Not yet, I'll give it a try.
I would have to make the videos short because I wouldn't have to wait about three hours (Elgato HD60 and iMovie) waiting to render one normal video about 15-25 minutes, that is if I edit them.

KrazyK Gaming

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Jul 30, 2015
Southern California
YouTube
I was growing decently when I was only doing montages. However, I have found out that people actually enjoyed hearing my voice and requested I make longer videos where Im talking and have heard a lot of positive things from it. I grew a bit more from it and it's been an interesting experience.

Jac Morton

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Feb 19, 2016
UK, West Yorkshire
YouTube
shotonwhite
Not yet, I'll give it a try.
I would have to make the videos short because I wouldn't have to wait about three hours (Elgato HD60 and iMovie) waiting to render one normal video about 15-25 minutes, that is if I edit them.

imovie isn't the best renderer out there, have tried some of the other editing software?

I use adobe premier pro, which is pretty quick to render but I also have 16gb of ram in my machine.

slumberRabbit

Rising User
Jan 2, 2016
imovie isn't the best renderer out there, have tried some of the other editing software?

I use adobe premier pro, which is pretty quick to render but I also have 16gb of ram in my machine.

iMovie is the only video editor that I currently have. I would get Adobe Premier or Sony Vegas, but it's out of my budget.
16gb ram?! It must be easy rendering longer videos rather than waiting.

slumberRabbit

Rising User
Jan 2, 2016
I was growing decently when I was only doing montages. However, I have found out that people actually enjoyed hearing my voice and requested I make longer videos where Im talking and have heard a lot of positive things from it. I grew a bit more from it and it's been an interesting experience.

I see and I'm glad that you grew even through it was a little bit, but at least every subscriber counts.

KrazyK Gaming

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Jul 30, 2015
Southern California
YouTube
I see and I'm glad that you grew even through it was a little bit, but at least every subscriber counts.
Another thing I've learned is: Don't give a f**k about how many subs you have. Do what you want to do because you find it fun. I've been playing games that Freedom provides keys for and submitting the gameplay and some of them are really terrible games, but people enjoy it for whatever reason.

I used to care so much about loosing a sub, but, now I only care about how much fun I have.

Smithy5000

May 13, 2016
Newcastle
YouTube
Getting the word around the internet would be good, I've seen many people commenting that there are some games they like to watch without commentary, games that have intense stories you need to follow or ones with lots of cut scenes.... just a shame they've all stayed cleared of my channel haha!

HungryGrizz

Freedom! Member
Oct 1, 2015
YouTube
I've started a gaming YouTube channel in 2013 and created a new one last December.
I don't do commentary on my gaming YouTube channel.

I've seen many other YouTube gaming channels without commentary and I know they've been doing this way before me. That's one of the reasons I started a gaming YouTube channel; playing video games without commentary and having fun. They have many subscribers and I'm sure they deserve it.

My question is, how do you grow a gaming YouTube channel with no commentary?
Since there is no commentary, how does one grow without the personality of a regular gaming YouTube commentator?

It can be challenging to get my videos promoted to the first page since I don't have much views, even with the right tags.
I cant say I dont have any commentary on my channel but i do have very little and my channel is growing very fast so I think i have found a good formual if you can see in my video doing this does require very good gameplay tho so you kind of have to be skilled or good at editing, if you do not like the way mine is setup another option would to go with the funny route and make funny video with say pop ups and funny sound bits.
Hope this helped you!

Jac Morton

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Feb 19, 2016
UK, West Yorkshire
YouTube
shotonwhite
iMovie is the only video editor that I currently have. I would get Adobe Premier or Sony Vegas, but it's out of my budget.
16gb ram?! It must be easy rendering longer videos rather than waiting.

It did help, are you on a macbook?

When your rendering do you have other software running. I cancel all my apps and just let in run. Then it speeds up the render.

slumberRabbit

Rising User
Jan 2, 2016
It did help, are you on a macbook?

When your rendering do you have other software running. I cancel all my apps and just let in run. Then it speeds up the render.

Yes and I use a Mac for rendering. I do and it still takes time to render.
It's usually the videos that has multiple edits that takes long.

slumberRabbit

Rising User
Jan 2, 2016
I cant say I dont have any commentary on my channel but i do have very little and my channel is growing very fast so I think i have found a good formual if you can see in my video doing this does require very good gameplay tho so you kind of have to be skilled or good at editing, if you do not like the way mine is setup another option would to go with the funny route and make funny video with say pop ups and funny sound bits.
Hope this helped you!

I see and thank you for your input.
I'll take those into account.