Removing background noise

M&Mnz

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Jan 14, 2016
YouTube
Even after following many YouTube tutorials, I'm still having difficulty removing background audio. I'm using audacity on windows so if you have any solution to the problem, reply to this thread

Thank you

Tiny Tunes

Rising User
Aug 28, 2016
Ipswich, UK
YouTube
You could try "noise removal" on audacity. The only way to get this to work well is if you can take a good sample of the noise. You need to find a section in the audio where it is just noise, then it uses that as a sample to try and remove from everywhere else. It's certainly not perfect and can sort of dampen your overall sound if used too heavily.

Paul Brierley

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Aug 30, 2016
U.K
YouTube
I use audacity and use noise removal to get rid of un wanted hiss, i'm asuming you are wanting to remove hiss??
Highlight about 5 seconds of the audio which has nothing but the noise you are wanting to remove, go to effect at the top, scroll down to noise reduction, click on get noise profile, highlight the whole track, go back to noise reduction, adjust the bars to how much you want to remove and click ok....hope this helps!

Kratos Aurion

You Earnestly believe you could defeat me?
Freedom! Member
May 8, 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
YouTube
Make sure you allow enough time for a good noise sample to be taken. I usually like to leave about 10-15 seconds of silence at the start of a recording so that way I can properly edit out the background noise in my audio. If you just hit record and start talking then finding those spots can be rather difficult.

M&Mnz

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Jan 14, 2016
YouTube
I followed all of your tips and still get some background noise. Maybe its my laptop microphone is causing the problem?