Videos getting flagged!?! (Constantly)

MrSHARKYY

New User
Aug 21, 2014
Scotland
YouTube
Not sure whats really going on with youtube, but apparently 1-3 mins of me on a motorcycle with no talking just engine noise is apparently "un advertised"

I personally don't care about my videos having ads, I don't look at youtube as a full time thing, but how is this affecting freedom?. I've seen a few larger youtubers talk about this.

Anyone else getting this right now?

SparktheYoshi

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Dec 27, 2016
Nevada
gitlab.com
YouTube
If you mean the demonetization, you're not getting flagged at all. It's actually a bot that does this, the bot was made by in May or so and was designed to look at things like description, title, tags, etc and decide if the video is unsafe for advertisers. As it is a bot, it's automated and at first, didn't do it's job too well. However, by now, a lot of youtubers have commented that a lot of their videos get less, like 18 or so videos compared to hundreds back when it started and keep mind that the bot learns with every repeal for review, so it's getting there.

DoxyTheCroat

New User
Dec 27, 2017
YouTube
It happens, for me the worst of the worst is when i get flagged for song which is part of game soundtrack of a game i stream.
I mean, i paid for it...in user agreement of every game is allowed to use it's content as i see fit as long as i dont make copies of it. (more or less).

LW

Community Manager
Administrator
Freedom! Member
Apr 2, 2016
Vienna, Austria
twitter.com
YouTube
lw_001
It happens, for me the worst of the worst is when i get flagged for song which is part of game soundtrack of a game i stream.
I mean, i paid for it...in user agreement of every game is allowed to use it's content as i see fit as long as i dont make copies of it. (more or less).
That's about the game, not necessarily about the Soundtrack.

SparktheYoshi

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Dec 27, 2016
Nevada
gitlab.com
YouTube
To get technical, unless you bought a physical copy of a game such as with PS4/Xbox/Switch, games in a digital format are technically licensed out to you as per the storefront's TOS agreement and many other online storefronts. This applies in interesting ways, such as your Steam game collection not being legally transferable in the event of your death.

Soundtracks aren't included with a game towards the sense of legal ownership and even if you bought an OST physically, it's still getting licensed out to you and it's trickier for OSTs especially if they came in a digital format, unlike games where it's pretty clear that buying an OST = means you do not own the music as far as the copyrights or usage rights go, especially concerning youtube.

Not a lot of people understand this:
Towards the question of non-royaltyfree audio with YouTube and videos, you do not hold the user rights legally unless the composer/company a-okayed it for you after you explicitly asked or that you composed the music yourself.

Koala_Steamed

Mythic User
Not sure whats really going on with youtube, but apparently 1-3 mins of me on a motorcycle with no talking just engine noise is apparently "un advertised"

I personally don't care about my videos having ads, I don't look at youtube as a full time thing, but how is this affecting freedom?. I've seen a few larger youtubers talk about this.

Anyone else getting this right now?

I've heard this can be from quite a few different things, even if the thumbnail image uploaded from your computer is saved as something that contains one of the flagged words you can lose monetization. So just make sure you double check all descriptions titles and everything is "family friendly"

I am a small YouTuber and I experience this a lot. I have written to YouTube and gave me a lot of explanation which does not even justify. Common are the community violation and the no ads. I have to justify them from time to time. Though the flag is removed after a day or two but still it affects me from time to time. What should we do to avoid this?

LW

Community Manager
Administrator
Freedom! Member
Apr 2, 2016
Vienna, Austria
twitter.com
YouTube
lw_001
I am a small YouTuber and I experience this a lot. I have written to YouTube and gave me a lot of explanation which does not even justify. Common are the community violation and the no ads. I have to justify them from time to time. Though the flag is removed after a day or two but still it affects me from time to time. What should we do to avoid this?
You can't avoid it.