A lot of people on this forum are clearly not ready for YouTube.

Shubham Goel

Mar 16, 2016
YouTube
To preface this, I just want to say that my YouTube channel is probably no better than a lot of other people's here but the main difference is that some people understand their
what they are working with and what they want to do while others
are obviously not prepared.
For those channels who are stuck in limbo and aren't getting anywhere, I suggest reading this.

The amount of people I see on this forum who do gaming specific content but are clearly not ready to do so is kind of crazy.

First of all is the type of channel you are running, a lot of the time I see Minecraft only channels that question or even complain about not getting enough views, likes or subscribers.
Well guess what, you have basically set yourself up for a long and arduous road because Minecraft channels are a dime a dozen, what makes your channel special or stand out? What makes you think you can gain views over those who have been doing it for longer and better?

The same can be said for those who only rely on CoD, GTA, CS:GO and other popular games that already have a large YouTube base.
It's going to be very hard for you to even start getting views at all SO don't complain about it.

Second is your actual video quality, this is a big one and applies to quite a few people I have seen on this forum. People really do need to get an understanding of game capture software, a lot of the times it's not as simple as pressing record and go.
You have to do some research first, look into game capture software that is best suited for you, understand what bitrate you need to record in and so on.
IF YOU start recording gameplay that looks like **** then sorry mate, no one is going to want to watch it.

Thirdly, are you even able to record and upload? This ties into my second point but if you're trying to start a gaming channel on your Dad's old laptop which can't even run Minesweeper then don't force out video that will obviously be in low quality and have a choppy FPS.
Furthermore, if you have a really **** internet connection and it takes you five hours or more to upload a five-minute video in 1080p then how about pulling back from YouTube till you are able to afford/or ask for better internet. There is no point in forcing yourself to wait around to upload a video when you could be doing better things and preparing yourself to do good content.

Overall, I ain't saying give up or that your channel is a load of ****. I'm just trying to put across the fact that some people are not ready to do YouTube and don't understand many of the concepts that are needed to create good content.

Wow.........you are savage. Upload speeds should make no difference to being on YouTube

SluiceGoose

Rising User
Mar 31, 2016
Washington
YouTube
YouTube is and always will be a hobby for me. When it starts turning into work, I'll dump my channel. Not to mention that but gold mining isnt exactly a "hot button" like other things. I'll be lucky to break 1K subs.

Shubham Goel

Mar 16, 2016
YouTube
If it takes you a whole day to upload a ten minute video, is it really worth it?
yeah it is, because at the end of the day you are sharing your passion and video with others! So who cares if takes you 1 hour or several hours, or even one day!

Most YouTubers who became "Big" started with very little..And i mean very little. Would you like some examples, well you have no choice, here are some :p

1. PewDiePie, When he started. his Computer could barely run much... until he saved up enough for a better computer, yet he still Uploaded and was on Youtube.

2. Jacksepticeye, He used to dangle a camera from neck to be his mic, no lie. Yet he still uploaded....Did he not?

3. caseyneistat used to use a tape camcorder and a mac that could only edit half of his videos at once when he made his films. Yet he still released all the films and went onto YouTube.

To conclude, the equipment or internet speed you have should not play a part of being on YouTube, if you have a passion or desire to release your videos, go for it! Don't let things hold you back, sure your videos may be not great or take forever to upload, but at least your stuff is our there!

Good day

Last edited:

Mr Wooff

Freedom! Member
Nov 7, 2014
YouTube
jamestron360
To preface this, I just want to say that my YouTube channel is probably no better than a lot of other people's here but the main difference is that some people understand their
what they are working with and what they want to do while others
are obviously not prepared.
For those channels who are stuck in limbo and aren't getting anywhere, I suggest reading this.

The amount of people I see on this forum who do gaming specific content but are clearly not ready to do so is kind of crazy.

First of all is the type of channel you are running, a lot of the time I see Minecraft only channels that question or even complain about not getting enough views, likes or subscribers.
Well guess what, you have basically set yourself up for a long and arduous road because Minecraft channels are a dime a dozen, what makes your channel special or stand out? What makes you think you can gain views over those who have been doing it for longer and better?

The same can be said for those who only rely on CoD, GTA, CS:GO and other popular games that already have a large YouTube base.
It's going to be very hard for you to even start getting views at all SO don't complain about it.

Second is your actual video quality, this is a big one and applies to quite a few people I have seen on this forum. People really do need to get an understanding of game capture software, a lot of the times it's not as simple as pressing record and go.
You have to do some research first, look into game capture software that is best suited for you, understand what bitrate you need to record in and so on.
IF YOU start recording gameplay that looks like **** then sorry mate, no one is going to want to watch it.

Thirdly, are you even able to record and upload? This ties into my second point but if you're trying to start a gaming channel on your Dad's old laptop which can't even run Minesweeper then don't force out video that will obviously be in low quality and have a choppy FPS.
Furthermore, if you have a really **** internet connection and it takes you five hours or more to upload a five-minute video in 1080p then how about pulling back from YouTube till you are able to afford/or ask for better internet. There is no point in forcing yourself to wait around to upload a video when you could be doing better things and preparing yourself to do good content.

Overall, I ain't saying give up or that your channel is a load of ****. I'm just trying to put across the fact that some people are not ready to do YouTube and don't understand many of the concepts that are needed to create good content.

I agree it used to be YouTubers in thier early years of youtube were developing the skills needed but a lot of YouTubers thease days cant even be arsed to spend that extra 1 or 2 hours to edit thier video properly and make thumbnails ect... A lot of people just want to focus on the attention they think they will get and not focus on the hard work they are going to have to put in to YouTube instead of actually diving in to the problem of why thier channel is not growing and spending time trying to firgure it out. TBH my channel was growing at a slow rate but everytime I did a vlog what I loved doing I would get more views, more watch time and people would come to my channel more so I deiced to do this instead. I actually spent years mastering Photoshop, sony vegas and spent countless hours trying to make good content and then you have kids who spend 10 mins recording a minecraft mini game and then they upload it to YouTube. I went on a rant didnt i xD

Alpha Oh

Apr 5, 2016
New Jersey
YouTube
I definitely understand this, which is why I hope to learn alot from this place.

Because honestly, especially if you go to my first couple videos and even my more recent ones, they're pretty bad looking. I can do alot better. But it's mostly computer hardware in my case. I need better components.

Todger182

Renowned User
Freedom! Member
Dec 13, 2015
www.youtube.com
YouTube
I have to be honest, minecraft is such an easy game to record and edit. But it's not pushing anything out of the ordinary. I record CS:GO but try and keep it down to once a week unless something hilarious happened that is enough to break to routine.

Other I record and upload daily putting out something different every day.

Personally I still don't think i'm ready to youtube, but I'm learning.

jd22292

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Mar 12, 2016
Worcester, Massachusetts, USA
YouTube
This is exactly why I wanted to hold off on framerate intense games on my own channel, because I have such a low-end PC that games like GTA 5 and Rainbow 6 Siege will or might have issues when I run it on my PC. I'm already feeling the effects with some other games I cover. And also a reason why I'm aiming for a new laptop in my future.

Pskovanion

Dutch Moderator
Freedom! Member
Jan 5, 2014
The Netherlands
www.youtube.com
I agree with you to a certain degree.
You are totally right that your channel needs good content if you are aiming for subs and views. The thing is, not everyone does it for growth, views or subs. Some people do this for the fun of it with (for example) friends and just want to have some fun together. If thats the case people should stay uploading in my opinion, but they shouldnt complain about not growing, yeah.

TheFriendlyBroski

Renowned User
Freedom! Member
Apr 4, 2014
London
YouTube
I agree with you to a certain degree.
You are totally right that your channel needs good content if you are aiming for subs and views. The thing is, not everyone does it for growth, views or subs. Some people do this for the fun of it with (for example) friends and just want to have some fun together. If thats the case people should stay uploading in my opinion, but they shouldnt complain about not growing, yeah.
Yeah I know, it's not like everyone here is doing it for subscribers because that is just a "side-effect" (for lack of a better word) of doing content you enjoy but it's just annoying to see people complain when they can't even see their own faults.

lex beats

Respected User
Freedom! Member
Jan 23, 2014
Jasenovo, Serbia
www.instagram.com
YouTube
Its all about being honest to yourself. You can't complain you have nothing to eat when you are not working, also, you can't complain about views/subs if your content is pretty decent or bad. But lets be real, there are people here with pretty bad content expecting to be really popular and rant about how no one cares about their ''hard work''. Guys, if you put an effort to pushing rock uphill, that is not an effort, that is a time wasted.

And most annoying mistake i see people make here, is forcing humor with dumb and forced-out jokes. If you are not a funny guy, and you are blabbering stupid things while you play a game, that is only affecting your channel in a bad way.

TheFriendlyBroski

Renowned User
Freedom! Member
Apr 4, 2014
London
YouTube
Its all about being honest to yourself. You can't complain you have nothing to eat when you are not working, also, you can't complain about views/subs if your content is pretty decent or bad. But lets be real, there are people here with pretty bad content expecting to be really popular and rant about how no one cares about their ''hard work''. Guys, if you put an effort to pushing rock uphill, that is not an effort, that is a time wasted.

And most annoying mistake i see people make here, is forcing humor with dumb and forced-out jokes. If you are not a funny guy, and you are blabbering stupid things while you play a game, that is only affecting your channel in a bad way.
This is exactly it, it's so tiring to see people not being realistic about their channel. Some people are too removed from the reality of what they are doing.

Benjipinch92

Rising User
Apr 28, 2016
YouTube
I agree with what you say about Minecraft gta and cod and them games if they love playing them then they should but if they think they are aftet view like you said then clearly they are doing for wrong reasons ill be honeat most new youtubers only do it for money and popularity were only a few do it because they love what they do and even learn

thejamesshow

Rising User
Freedom! Member
yeah it is, because at the end of the day you are sharing your passion and video with others! So who cares if takes you 1 hour or several hours, or even one day!

Most YouTubers who became "Big" started with very little..And i mean very little. Would you like some examples, well you have no choice, here are some :p

1. PewDiePie, When he started. his Computer could barely run much... until he saved up enough for a better computer, yet he still Uploaded and was on Youtube.

2. Jacksepticeye, He used to dangle a camera from neck to be his mic, no lie. Yet he still uploaded....Did he not?

3. caseyneistat used to use a tape camcorder and a mac that could only edit half of his videos at once when he made his films. Yet he still released all the films and went onto YouTube.

To conclude, the equipment or internet speed you have should not play a part of being on YouTube, if you have a passion or desire to release your videos, go for it! Don't let things hold you back, sure your videos may be not great or take forever to upload, but at least your stuff is our there!

Good day

Part of the problem with this example is time. Times have changed. It used to be you could get away with this, but people expect more now.
Also what they were doing then was still fairly new. There were not 100 other people doing the exact same thing with better quality stuff and production to make the video more watchable.

I admit my produciton quality is pretty shaky, but I am doing it for fun and not making posts like "How can I make money on youtube?" The real short answer is you can't. Someone can, and good luck to you, but at this point a lot of it is luck. I know you are saying I made 40 dollars last month!. Yea and you spend hours making and editing that content. You really didn't make any money. If your view it is "hey, I made a few bucks doing something i do for a hobby" then you are doing it right. Trying to make a living on Youtube with crappy quality and content. Well again good LUCK.

Spud

Respected User
Jun 11, 2016
England
YouTube
TheWonderSpud
I mostly agree with you, although I will say this. Anyone and everyone is ready for YouTube. Personally, what you have described in your post is exactly me when I started making videos a few years ago. I feel like I have learnt gradually how to engage my audience and thus had much more experience. (y) (Y)

So yes, I think everyone is ready for YouTube. But I agree with you that they shouldn't complain, rather they should seek advice. :)

Nordic Chronicles

Freedom! Partner
Freedom! Member
Jun 8, 2014
U.S.A, Illinois.
Kind of why I try to upload against the trends and play something which either someone hasn't heard of(sometimes) or something that isn't uploaded very often. I try to maintain a schedule of weekly-biweekly(unless tech issues, which recently happened) due to RL matters I'd rather not go into, but point being, I agree with what is being said. I've had a youtuber friend who tries to upload all the popular games that come out(leading to alot of competition) and using clickbaits, and he asks "Why are my videos getting disliked?!", and as a previous clickbait topic which was put up, I agree with that post.
Point is, you need to have FUN with youtube, and treat it like a hobby. I had a phase when I tried looking at it as a job, and it made me miserable, so just have fun and have FUN editing and creating your creation. Try to go against the most popular stuff on youtube and do something unique and different! :D