YouTube HOW MUCH DOES LOCATION MATTER!?

AFKPlays

Renowned User
Freedom! Member
Sep 19, 2016
India
YouTube
AFK_YT
I may be wrong on this but I don't think it really matters where you are located physically. You just need to work on promoting yourself to the right crowd, online.
Oh I also forgot to mentio I did read articles saying that it actually matters and Youtube promotes your videos locally first...In fact, I did a vlog on my channel regarding a event in my city and that shot up like crazy! But none of my other videos did...

iPIxelDot

Freedom! Member
From a marketing standpoint, it makes sense that it does. But it would also matter on the subject, how many other youtubers are covering it, how often you post/how big your fanbase is, and where/how you promote your videos.[DOUBLEPOST=1482762426][/DOUBLEPOST]Figuring out their algorithm will be interesting though. Especially since they recently changed it.

Last edited:
Reactions: AFKPlays

AFKPlays

Renowned User
Freedom! Member
Sep 19, 2016
India
YouTube
AFK_YT
From a marketing standpoint, it makes sense that it does. But it would also matter on the subject, how many other youtubers are covering it, how often you post/how big your fanbase is, and where/how you promote your videos.[DOUBLEPOST=1482762426][/DOUBLEPOST]Figuring out their algorithm will be interesting though. Especially since they recently changed it.
Jacksepticeye mentioned a fact that they change it every month...which is kinda weird...

AFKPlays

Renowned User
Freedom! Member
Sep 19, 2016
India
YouTube
AFK_YT
That's because it's literally changing all of the time, especially since it's now under Google's name and Google is the king over online advertising and marketing.
Ah..I see...
it shouldn't matter, but you can set the country you want for your channel. If you speak hindi in your video set it as India, if you mainly speak English set it as USA.
Oh okay...so if you change your location to USA it does make a big change?

AstoraFPS

Freedom! Member
It's more about your uniqueness as a content creator and you as a person rather than where you are located geographically, if you make good content, people will watch it, most people don't do a background check on you before they see your videos, but try and go for key things like trending topics, English videos etc. good luck!

AFKPlays

Renowned User
Freedom! Member
Sep 19, 2016
India
YouTube
AFK_YT
I am Indonesian, but sometime i change to country that many indonesian live there, i think maybe can make more view ..
That's the question... :)

Just letting you know why they change their algorithm all the time
Oh I see...

It's more about your uniqueness as a content creator and you as a person rather than where you are located geographically, if you make good content, people will watch it, most people don't do a background check on you before they see your videos, but try and go for key things like trending topics, English videos etc. good luck!
I see....uniqueness.... :D

AFKPlays

Renowned User
Freedom! Member
Sep 19, 2016
India
YouTube
AFK_YT
Yeah I don't think location truly matters, I live in Canada and most of my viewers are from the U.K, U.S.A and Germany :p
Ah I see...

I've heard it can make a difference although, it's not going to be huge. Unless you have a way of getting your content out there (via search or social media) people aren't likely to stumble across content no matter what country you are from.
Was this true for a while now or did the competition increase drastically this year?